The New Fortress (Fortress of Saint Mark)
The Fortress of Saint Mark in Corfu was built by the Venetians and is strategically located in close proximity to the Old Harbor of town.
It took a rather long time to be built (from 1576 to 1645). Construction of this impregnable fortress was completed soon after the infamous Turkish invasion.
The design and construction of the Fortress was undertaken by the renowned Italian military engineer, Ferraute Vitteli.